Gas leaks

GAS INFORMATION

Gas leaks and power cuts

If you smell gas or suspect a leak, please call the National Grid Emergency Service immediately on

0800 111 999

GAS EMERGENCY

Do not call from your mobile indoors as it could cause a spark. Take your mobile outside or ask a neighbour if you can use their phone.

If you think there might be a gas leak:

  • Turn all gas appliances off. If the pilot light on a gas appliance stays on even after you have turned it off then it could be a sign of a gas leak.
  • Don’t turn any light switches or appliances on or off as they could cause a spark.
  • Don’t smoke or light matches/cigarette lighters.
  • Put out any naked flames like candles.
  • Turn off the gas at the meter and leave it off until the leak has been repaired. You can turn the gas off by turning the emergency control valve on the pipe leading to the meter to the OFF position.
  • Open windows and doors to let the gas escape.
  • If you have an electrical security entry lock then do not use it. The door must be opened manually when the engineer arrives.

If none of your gas appliances are working, there is probably a problem with your supply. Call the National Grid Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

Carbon Monoxide

Faulty gas fittings and appliances can give off poisonous carbon monoxide gas.

You can’t see it, smell it or taste it, but it can kill in hours.

You could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Your gas appliance wasn’t installed properly.
  • Your gas appliance is not working properly.
  • Your gas appliance has not been checked for safety or maintained regularly.
  • There isn’t enough fresh air in the room.
  • Your chimney or flue is blocked.
  • An engineer who is not on the Gas Safe Register installed or maintained your appliances.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to look out for include tiredness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, pains in the chest and stomach pains. These symptoms are similar to common illnesses and can easily be mistaken for flu or even just tiredness.

If you or your family experience these symptoms and you believe carbon monoxide may be involved, you must seek urgent medical advice.

  • Never use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly. Signs to look out for include yellow or orange flames, soot or stains around the appliance and pilot lights which keep going out.
  • Never cover an appliance or block the convection air vents.
  • Never block or obstruct any ventilation grills or air bricks.
  • Never block or cover outside flues.
  • Whenever draught exclusion, ceiling or extraction fans, double glazing or conservatory extensions are fitted to a room containing a gas appliance the appliance should be checked for safety.

It’s a good idea to install a carbon monoxide alarm. Make sure that it meets current safety standards (BS EN 50291) and carries the Kitemark. Alarms are a great precaution, but they’re no substitute for proper installation and maintenance of your gas equipment by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Gas safety checks – Health and Safety Executive advice

You should have your gas appliances checked for safety at least once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

You could be entitled to a free safety check. If you are over 60, have long term ill-health, are registered disabled, or have a child under five years old living with you, you are entitled to join our Priority Services Register. It’s completely free and entitles you to lots of extra services including free gas safety checks. Find out more about the Priority Services Register here, or give us a call 0800 280 8000.

Remember, by Law:

Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be registered with the Gas Safe Register. Always check your engineer is registered by asking to see their ID card which has a photo of the engineer, their business registration number and personal licence number, company name, the start and expiry date of the card and a security hologram. The reverse of the card details what kind of gas work the engineer is qualified to do. You can also call Gas Safe register during office hours on 0800 408 5500 or visit their website www.gassaferegister.co.uk.

You must not use any gas appliance you think is unsafe. Gas Safe Registered engineers will disconnect any gas appliance suspected to be life endangering. If your engineer asks your permission to disconnect an appliance we advise that you agree for your own safety. Have the appliance repaired by a Gas Safe Registered engineer before using it again.

Landlords are generally responsible for making sure that gas fittings and flues are maintained and safety checked at least once a year. If you own the appliance, you are responsible for maintenance and safety checks.