We need to collect, use and store your personal information in order to bring you on board as a customer and manage your account.
It’s important to us that you can feel confident that your personal information is safe and being looked after. We appreciate the trust you place in us and in return we respect our customers’ privacy and are committed to protecting your personal information.
Here we’ll set out clearly how we collect, use, disclose and manage your personal information.
By becoming an ENGIE customer you agree to the collection, use, disclosure and management of your personal information as set out in this policy and your terms and conditions of supply. This is in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA).
We may amend this policy from time to time, so we recommend that you review it every so often to ensure that you’re aware of any changes.
This policy was last updated on: 1st October 2016
How do we collect your personal information?
We may collect certain personal information from you when you join us as a customer, use our website or services, or get in touch with us. This includes:
- when you enter into a contract with us;
- when you contact us or our service providers directly for any reason, including inquiring about or purchasing our products and services, requesting further information, seeking assistance or reporting a problem with your account or our website;
- when you enter into a contract with us, as we need to use this information to be able to provide our products and services;
- when you use our products and services;
- when you register to use our website through an online account and when you log in to use that account;
- when you subscribe to receive our alerts and newsletters, participate in our promotions and competitions, and filling in forms and applications.
We may also collect your personal information through other ENGIE group companies and business partners, our service providers, and third parties (such as our data providers, other market participants or a market operator) so that we can provide you with better or more relevant products and services.
We may record your telephone calls with us for purposes including training our staff, improving our service, and verification and compliance purposes.
Why do we need your personal data?
We need to collect and use your personal information to:
- provide you with the products and services you have requested from us;
- respond to your inquiries and requests for assistance;
- verify your identity when you register for our website or products and services, log into our website or contact us in relation to your account;
- provide you with personalised products and services;
- provide you with personalised content on our website and the websites of our service providers and business partners;
- tell you about changes to our products and services;
- combine your personal information with information that other ENGIE group companies and business partners have collected from their service providers, third parties, and cookies or web beacons in order to personalise your experience and to improve the quality of the services you receive;
- obtain your feedback about our products, services or websites;
- comply with our legal and contractual obligations;
- instruct debt collection agencies if we need their help to recover any amounts you owe us; and
- help prevent and detect fraud, including energy theft and loss.
If all or part of your information is not provided, we may not be able to provide these services.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect personal information including your name, address, date of birth, phone number, email address, and other information you provide. We may also collect personal information to enable us to verify your identity, including information from your driving licence, passport or other identity document you have provided.
If we believe that you or a member of your household could benefit from extra care (for example, because of your age, health, disability or other circumstances) and you agree, we may record this in the information we hold about you. We may share this information, only if you agree, with:
- Support organisations such as social services, charities or healthcare organisations.
- Other Energy Suppliers – if you’re thinking of changing to another supplier, we will pass on your information to the new supplier so they’re aware of any extra care they may need to provide.
- Electricity distributors and gas transporters to ensure they provide additional help in the event of an emergency such as a power cut or provide advance warning of any planned interruptions of your supply.
We may also collect non-personal information about you including data relating to your activities on our website (including desktop, mobile, tablet and apps) via tracking technologies such as cookies, and data relating to your energy consumption and purchase history.
You acknowledge that the personal information you provide to us is your own information, or information which you have been authorised to provide us.
When we might need to share your information
In certain circumstances we may share your personal information with third parties, this includes:
- our service providers so that they can provide or assist us with providing our products and services, or provide you with products or services that you have requested directly from them;
- credit reference agencies and third party debt collection agencies;
- third parties where you have requested information, products or services from them;
- relevant government, regulatory or public authorities, including the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (OFGEM).
- our legal representatives or other concerned parties in circumstances where we reasonably believe that disclosing your personal information is necessary to help identify, contact or bring legal action against anyone damaging, injuring, or interfering with our rights or property, users or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities; and
- where we are otherwise authorised or required by law to do so.
Do we use and disclose your personal information for marketing purposes?
We may use your personal information to provide you with information about offers, promotions, products or services which we believe may be of interest to you. We may also share your information with ENGIE group companies and business partners, service providers and other third parties so that they can provide you with products or services on our behalf or help us to provide you with any products or services that you have requested.
If we contact you for marketing purposes, we will give you the opportunity to request that your information is not used for direct marketing by us in the future.
If you would prefer not to hear from us about marketing, special offers or promotions, please let us know by getting in touch with our Customer Care Team on 0800 280 8000 or emailing email@example.com
Do we disclose and store your personal information outside the European Economic Area?
We may store your personal information on servers located in the United Kingdom, as well as disclose and store your personal information to our outsourced data processors, with data centres in North and South America, Asia, Europe and Africa. When we disclose your information to our service providers located overseas, we endeavour to ensure your personal information is treated in accordance with the standards required by the DPA. When you provide us with your personal information, you consent to us storing your personal information outside of the United Kingdom.
How do we safeguard your personal information?
We strive to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of the personal information we collect. We do our very best to ensure the security of personal information held by us so as to protect your information from unauthorised access, use, modification, destruction or disclosure. Access to personal information is restricted to authorised employees, contractors, agents and service providers, who are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us. We regularly review and update our security measures in light of current technologies.
What are Cookies?
We use “cookie” technology on our website. Cookies are small data files which are placed on your computer or other mobile or handheld device (such as a smart phone or tablet) as you browse this website. They are used to ‘remember’ when your computer or device accesses this website.
Some cookies collect information about the browsing and purchasing behaviour of people who access this website from the same computer or device. This includes information about pages viewed and the customer journey around the website. We are able to monitor individual customer activity, but third parties are not able to identify customers using cookies.
Who sets cookies?
The cookies stored on your computer or other device when you access this website are set by ENGIE, our suppliers who partner with us to help deliver our website and customer experience and other third parties. Some of the cookies used on this website are necessary to ensure that customers are able to use the full functionality of the website.
Cookies may also be set by third parties who participate in affiliate marketing programmes with us. None of these third parties collect any personal data from which they would be able to identify individual customers.
Turning cookies off
- remove cookies from your hard drive;
- set your browser to block cookies.; or
- set your browser to send you a warning notice before a cookie is stored on your computer.
How can you access or correct your personal information and credit reporting information, or make a privacy or Data Protection complaint?
You have the right to ask for access to, or correction of, personal information and credit reporting information that we hold about you. However, we may limit your access if it would disclose personal information about another person, or where it would disclose commercially sensitive information. You also have the right to make a complaint if you believe that we have not complied with privacy laws in relation to your information.
To obtain access, correct your information, make a complaint or inquire about your rights, please contact us in writing using the contact details below. We will acknowledge any complaints in writing as soon as we can and respond to any complaints or inquiries within 40 days.
For personal information inquiries:
Attention: Privacy Officer
Phone: 0800 280 8000
ENGIE Home Energy
PO Box 330,
Newcastle upon Tyne,